Job title: VETERINARY HOSPITAL GREETER/CASHIER
Company: University of Wisconsin System
Job description: Job Summary:
Do you love working with a great team and seeing adorable animals daily? Then working in UW Veterinary Care (UWVC) reception is the place for you! This fast-paced and exciting opportunity is a key role in patient intake and client communications. Clients may be stressed by their sick patients, so superb customer service and a positive and helpful attitude are necessary. This is a challenging yet rewarding support position in the hospital, with the potential to grow your career and communication skills. Join us!
Responsibilities: Performs administrative and customer service support in an office setting within a healthcare facility or clinic to provide quality customer service to all patients and staff and ensure smooth administrative operations.
- 5% Provides day-to-day operational support to medical work unit personnel
- 10% Prepares documents for patient admissions and appointments
- 30% Serves as front desk staff within a healthcare facility or clinic
- 30% Greets patients, schedules appointments, maintains calendars, schedules tests, and makes referrals according to instructions
- 5% Receives, submits, and responds to inquiries according to established policies and procedures
- 5% Provides operational phone support within an emergency medical facility
- 5% Serves as a cashier, collecting and accurately recording all cash/credit transactions associated with a veterinary healthcare facility
- 5% Provides support to the billing functions of UWVC
- 5% Maintains appearance and cleanliness of the reception and client waiting areas of the hospital
- Cancels and reschedules appointments as needed. Schedules new-to-service and return appointments according to established protocols for each service.
- Prepare charts for appointments as needed, upload client consent forms to patient file, upload documents and records to patient file, print medical record labels for charts.
- Participate in rotating on-call shifts as needed.
- Perform billing duties including processing client payments, review daily appointment report (Lizzie) to check for appropriateness of fees, make billing adjustments per hospital protocols.
- Use the hospital’s internal messaging system (Vocera) per established protocols to inform appropriate stakeholders of patient arrival. Triage and differentiate method of messaging (Vocera vs. Message Board or urgent vs. not urgent)
- Verify accuracy of client/patient information, updating as necessary, including client’s full legal name, address, phone numbers, email, referring veterinarian (rDVM), birth date, etc.
- Provide exceptional customer service to UWVC clients, staff, and clinicians
- Other duties as assigned
Institutional Statement on Diversity:
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background – people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit:
Previous customer service experience is required. Knowledge of medical terminology strongly preferred.
UW-Madison continues to follow necessary health and safety protocols to protect our campus from COVID-19. All employees remain subject to the COVID-19 Workplace Safety Policy: . Please visit for the most up-to-date information.
Core hours of Sunday-Thursday, 2PM-10:30PM, with a 30 minute lunch.
Weekend, holiday, and variable on-call hours as required by the unit.
Additional shift differentials of $0.80/hr night/after 6PM and $0.80/hr weekends!
Full Time: 100%
It is anticipated this position requires work be performed in-person, onsite, at a designated campus work location.
Appointment Type, Duration:
Minimum $17.00 Maximum $27.00 HOURLY
Depending on Qualifications
Sign-on Bonus of 3-5% of base pay (based on FTE) to be paid over the first year of employment
Requires advanced customer service skills, problem solving abilities, and attention to detail.
1. Ability to operate telephone, computer, copy machine and fax machine.
2. Able to sit for long periods of time
3. Able to stand and walk, and occasionally to carry objects up to 30 pounds.
Please note that successful applicants are responsible for ensuring their eligibility to work in the United States (i.e. a citizen or national of the United States, a lawful permanent resident, a foreign national authorized to work in the United States without need of employer sponsorship) on or before the effective date of appointment.
UW Veterinary Care offers competitive wages (including night and weekend differential, if applicable), outstanding employee benefits (https://hr.wisc.edu/benefits/new-employee-benefits-enrollment/benefits-for-employees-covered-by-the-wrs/), ample paid time off (https://hr.wisc.edu/benefits/leave/paid-leave/), and financial support for continuing education and pursuing specialty certification.
The UW-Madison campus and the surrounding area have many enriching opportunities. Madison was named the most bike-friendly city; the Dane County Farmer’s Market is one of the largest in the nation; Madison has the most restaurants per capita of any U.S. city; Madison consistently ranks as a top community in which to live, work, and play; and the University is nationally recognized for academics and athletics. Please see the following link for more information: https://www.visitmadison.com/
How to Apply:
Begin the online application process by clicking the ‘Apply Now’ button. Applicants are asked to upload a cover letter outlining your experience as related to the position as well as a current resume and list of three professional references, one of which must be your current supervisor. We will not contact your current supervisor without advance notice. Please ensure that the resume and cover letter address how you meet the minimum/preferred qualifications for the position.
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See for further information. )
Medical Office Assistant(HS008)
A878070-SCHOOL OF VET MEDICINE/ADMIN VMTH/ADMIN-RCPT
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
If you need to request an accommodation because of a disability, you can find information about how to make a request at the following website:
Employment will require a criminal background check. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
The contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the .
Applications Open: Jul 11 2022 Central Daylight Time
Applications Close: Jul 25 2022 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time
Expected salary: $27 per hour
Location: Madison, WI
Job date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 04:15:14 GMT
Apply for the job now!