Job title: Telecommunications Technician 3 – DC Metro Area
Company: M.C. Dean
Job description: Description:
In this role you will be responsible for installing and maintaining telecommunication systems. Performing preventive maintenance requirements. Performing inspections, evaluations, and inventory.
Essential responsibilities and activities include but are not limited to:
- Leading teams on small moderately complex installation projects.
- Conducting and documenting daily toolbox talks.
- Installing all aspects of the telecommunication system at both the local and global level per design packages.
- Performing inspections, evaluations, and inventory
- Installation of video and data cable Cat 6 as well as fiber cable.
- Terminating, testing, troubleshooting of horizontal copper (Cat 5, Cat 6).
- Termination of fiber to include anaerobic, Unicam, and fusion splicing.
- Termination of riser cable.
- Installation of patch panels.
- Label and test horizontal cable.
- Installation of backbone and riser cable (copper & fiber).
- Read and understand plans and specifications.
- Installation of plywood and racks.
- Installation of cable trays in TC, MDF, IDF.
- Mentor apprentices.
- Installation of OSP (outside plant) installations.
- Pulling cable 100 pair or smaller unassisted.
- Installation of Site Grounding.
- Maintaining clean work area.
- Terminate various manufacturers of copper termination blocks.
- Successful Cable Technician Will have extensive experience with the installation, termination, and testing of Structured Cable Plant in commercial environments.
- Technician should understand how improper installs can affect testing.
- Technicians should have knowledge of BICSI guidelines for proper install and termination procedures.
- Technicians must have proven experience terminating cable on Patch Panels and Jacks at Work Area Outlet.
- Technicians must have full Technicians Tool Set.
- Cable Technicians need to be able to train and supervise apprentices/lower tier communication technicians in a team environment to facilitate installing cable from TRs to WAO’s while following drawings and run lists to ensure cables are installed methodically and arranged in proper bundles at the TR for ease of dressing and termination.
- Cable technicians also need to be able to perform Quality assurance checks on their team’s work ensuring cable install is performed within all applicable requirements.
Work may include supervising a team of 6-10 technicians, working independently, or working under the direct supervision of a Communications Superintendent. The ability to work with different types of connectors, terminations, and pin configurations; knowledge of color codes; and familiarity with TIA and EIA standards and section 800 of the NEC is a plus. Communications technicians may also be required to assist electrical installations as needed.
- Willing to Travel when required
- Bicsi Technician Certification
- 7+ years prior experience in commercial communications industry
- Security clearance is a plus or ability to get a clearance
- High school diploma or GED are required
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must have reliable transportation to and from the jobsite
- Lifts at least 100 pounds at one time and 60 pounds for an extended period of time.
- Relocates a 12 foot stepladder without assistance.
- Works at various heights up to 60 feet and can climb and maintain balance on scaffolds, aerial lifts, catwalks and all types of ladders.
- Walks, climbs, lifts, squats, crawls, kneels, pushes, pulls and reaches overhead on a routine and repetitive basis.
- Possess good vision (may be corrected vision), the ability to see in color, and the ability to hear and communicate in English.
- May use a standard ladder without exceeding the weight limit while carrying tools.
- Tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (including finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
- See details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
Job date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 22:38:01 GMT
Apply for the job now!