Job title: Telecom Engineer – IT
Job description: At Exelon, we’ve got a place for you!
Join the nation’s leading competitive energy provider, with one of the largest electricity generation portfolios and retail customer bases in the country. You will be part of a family of companies that strives for the highest standards of power generation, competitive energy sales, and energy delivery. Our team of outstanding professionals is focused on performance, thought leadership, innovation, and the power of ideas that come from a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Exelon will provide you the tools and resources you need to design, build and enhance a successful career. We are also dedicated to motivating the success of our employees through competitive base salary, incentives, and health and retirement benefits.
Join Exelon and share your passion at a forward-thinking Fortune 100 company. Establish yourself in a place where you can truly shine and create a brighter, more sustainable tomorrow. Energize your career at Exelon!
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
This position reports into the Utility Communication (UComm) Department or the Digital Grid Organization and will provide technical expertise to support delivery and maintenance of IT solutions related to the Cyber, Fiber Optics, Firewall, Real Time Networks, SmartGrid, Transport (SONET/DWDM) and Wireless (RF) Communication technologies supporting Exelon. Position will provide technical leadership supporting the engineering, deployment, integration and strategic strategy of high available telecommunications technologies throughout the Exelon Companies in accordance with established strategy and architecture, including leadership supporting the migration away from legacy communications and implementing secure IP based network infrastructure in the substations throughout the Exelon in accordance with established strategy, architecture, NERC/CIP requirements enabling application communication. This role will work in collaboration with the network team, their leadership, enterprise business partners, vendors and project/design teams, in all aspects of the secure & reliable transport of IP networks throughout Exelon’s large & complex enterprise and real time operational environments.
Position may be required to work extended hours, including 24 x 7 coverage during storms or other energy delivery emergencies.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Provide technical expertise and/or engineering support for engineering, deployment and operation of IT solutions related to the Cyber, Fiber Optics, Firewall, Real Time Networks, SmartGrid, Transport (SONET/DWDM) and Wireless (RF) Communication technologies supporting Exelon. Skills should include working knowledge of routing and associated protocols that enable the individual to independently perform network design and device configurations. Ability to prepare and write design standards where none exists and maintaining on-going configuration and maintenance of installed infrastructure.
- Assist IT Architecture and Engineering community in planning the introduction of new technologies and/or identifying the most appropriate technology choices to accomplish goals based on the Management Model. Ensure appropriate implementation and optimization of resources aligned with approved standards and architecture to meet the Utility Smart Grid application requirements.
- Maintain strong relationship working with the Utility business implementing the fiber construction project and on-going maintenance of fiber infrastructure. Interfacing with and managing vendor partners supporting the construction of the fiber infrastructure.
- Identify and provide Business and IT data on IT trends and issues. Participate in IT architecture review and standards setting. Lead the development of Design Standards, white papers, conducting presentations as needed to explain why a technology is being recommended by IT.
- Maintain technical knowledge and business acumen within own discipline or function
- Provide performance evaluations, career development feedback, and recognition as required.
- Maintains deep technical knowledge and broad understanding of utility telecommunications devices tie together to form a cohesive communications architecture including related networking technologies across Exelon.
- Promotes knowledge via seminars, presentations and publications within IT and Exelon
- Participates in technological innovation to drive new business opportunities and solve complex business problems
- Supports Exelon policy, standards and governance while designing solutions or solving issues
- Works under minimal supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline and typically 2 to 5 years’ experience in telecommunication, electrical, computer engineering and related communication technologies or 6- 9 equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Ability to perform detailed telecommunication engineering functions including network management platforms, inventory management and documentation systems.
- Experience working in a substation environment including detailed understanding of specific requirements and standards for SCADA and system protection communications.
- Thorough understanding of OSI layers 1, 2 and 3 with emphasis on layer 3 routing and addressing structure including BGP and ISIS routing protocols.
- Excellent communications skills- Able to effectively communicate highly technical information in non-technical terminology (written a verbal).
- Understanding of change management principles associated with new technology implementations.
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to develop a comprehensive configuration management program for telecommunication assets.
- Understanding of project management principles
- Technical certification and or knowledge in Technical Area of Specialty, where applicable, (fiber/wireless/networking) CCNA, CCNP, CCIE
- Extensive Cisco, Nokia Checkpoint Firewall device management and configuration.
- Detailed understanding of NERC/CIP security requirements.
- Drawing management programs such as Auto-Cad and MapInfo.
Exelon is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and employees or applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Job date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 02:39:38 GMT
Apply for the job now!