Job title: Substance Use Navigator – Healthful – Doctors Medical Center
Job description: Modesto, CA – Seeking Substance Use Navigator
Be The Impact You Are Meant To Be
As a Substance Use Navigator (SUN), you play an integral role in supporting medication for addiction treatment (MAT) while serving as an advocate to your patients throughout their transition from the acute care setting to outpatient treatment. At Healthful we know the impact you can have.
Join the Healthful Team. Healthful was created by Vituity and their innovation hub, Inflect Health, to simplify the healthcare journey for patients. We are dedicated to doing that by delivering patients and their families highly personalized support and guidance through the healthcare ecosystem. We are a united team of patient care navigators, scribes, medical annotators, and business leaders that come together to break down the social and economic barriers to care that our patients face. Help us shape the future of healthcare.
- This position will require Monday-Friday, 8-hour shifts. may include weekend hours as determined by the site.
- This position is an onsite position.
- Act as a Substance Use Navigator (SUN) to interact with patients, assess their readiness for treatment and links the patients to care.
- Utilizes motivational interviewing techniques to communicate with patients in a respectful, culturally appropriate, non-judgmental manner.
- Maintains up-to-date information about the effects of various substances, withdrawal symptoms, and treatment options to effectively educate and counsel patients.
- Provides liaison services to Addiction Medicine and outpatient clinics that manage addiction and wellness efforts towards sobriety.
- Required to attend and represent the organization at training and meetings at the request of CA Bridge program of the Public Health Institute.
- Clearly communicates the purposes and services available to patients, family members and caregivers.
- Promotes expansion of MAT program and philosophy within the hospital.
- Works with the patient to coordinate transition into or out of a care setting by following instructions they received from a medical professional. This may include faxing information, obtaining referrals or authorizations, arranging transportation, coordinating durable medical equipment (DME), making and confirming appointments, obtaining test results, and other patient related duties as designated.
- Practices regular communication with care team members to provide feedback around process improvement of services offered within the community, and to expand knowledge of those services that can better serve the patient and increase effectiveness of the role.
- Maintains frequent contact with SUN Program Supervisor and MAT Physician Champion to assist with other duties as assigned in support of other hospital initiatives.
- Interacts with the care team to collaboratively build a care pathway for patients to achieve sobriety and directs the execution of such a plan.
- Remains aware of and develops relationships with community resources and services offered, such as (and not limited to) mental health, housing, food, and employment assistance, and provides information on such services to patients as needed.
- Maintains privacy and confidentiality of any drug treatment efforts throughout the patient’s lifespan of treatment.
- Facilitates patients’ utilization of community resources to support patient wellness.
- Initiates steps to promote patients’ access to health insurance.
- Establishes relationships with, and serves as primary point of contact for, patients diagnosed with substance use disorder or co-occurring mental health disorders. If required by the hospital, this may include initial patient assessments and brief interventions using standardized tools.
- Maintains documentation of all client encounters in excel or software-based program and completes reporting requirements according to program standards.
- Fully discloses relevant training, experience, and credentials, in order to help patients, understand the scope of services the Substance Care Navigator is qualified to provide and refrains from any activity that could be construed as clinical in nature.
Required Experience and Competencies
- High school diploma or GED preferred
- Understanding of substance use disorders (SUD) and medication assisted treatment (MAT)
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after a second shot of a two-dose vaccine of Pfizer or Moderna or after a single-dose vaccine of Johnson & Johnson) or have an approved exemption
- CA health care workers will be required to get a COVID-19 booster by February 1, 2022
- Nonjudgmental, energetic, positive, harm-reduction approach to assisting patients with Substance Use Disorder (SUD)
- Respect for patient confidentiality and privacy.
- Healthcare experience.
- Proficient in medical terminology.
- Knowledge of computer skills using Microsoft Outlook, Excel and e-mail.
Doctors Medical Center – Modesto, California
- Level II trauma facility with 33 ED beds and an annual ED patient volume of 100,000+
- One of the largest tertiary care hospitals in the area as well as a top tier hospital in the community
- The hospital provides some of the best sub-specialty coverage in the Valley and is unique as they have their own radiology and other types of services within the department
- One of the top five cardiology sites in California with 24-hour catheterization lab
- Portable GE Ultrasound machine and GE 64 slice CT scanner
- Extensive on-call panel and subspecialists, including neurosurgery, ophthalmology, plastic surgery, interventional radiology and more
- Easy access to San Francisco, Yosemite, and more!
- Growing community with arts, cultural events, shopping, and other great activities
- A metropolitan city with old-fashioned hospitality, small town charm, and excellent cost of living
- Wide open spaces with incredible year-round activities: boating, wind surfing, fishing, whitewater rafting, hiking, biking, camping, golfing, and horseback riding
Benefits & Beyond*
Healthful cares about the whole you. With our comprehensive benefits package, we are mindful of what matters most, and support your needs of today and your plans for the future.
- Superior health plan options
- Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, Life and AD&D coverage, and more
- Top Tier 401(k) retirement savings plans that offers a $1.20 match for every dollar up to 6%
- Student Loan Refinancing Options
- EAP, travel assistance and identify theft included
- Wellness program
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) initiatives including LGBTQ+ History, Dia de los Muertos Celebration, Money Management/Money Relationship, and more.
- Purpose-driven culture focused on improving the lives of our patients, communities, and employees.
We are unified around the common purpose of simplifying the patient journey and we believe you have a role to play in that. We know that when we work together across sites and specialties as an integrated healthcare team, we can exceed the expectations of our patients and the hospitals and clinics we work in. If you are looking to make a difference, Healthful is the place to do it. Come grow with us.
Healthful appreciates differences; our dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion is at the heart of our organization. Healthful does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information (including family medical history), veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law. Healthful is committed to complying with all applicable national, state and local laws pertaining to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity.
*Benefits for part-time and per diem vary. Please speak to a recruiter for more information.
Applicants Only. No agencies please.
Location: Modesto, CA
Job date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 22:40:20 GMT
Apply for the job now!