Job title: Special Education Elementary Teacher (Summer Only)
Company: Gersh Autism
Job description: Job Purpose
The primary function of this role is to serve as the primary educator for Gersh Academy students. Main responsibilities include instruction and daily communication with parents and students assigned to you via distance learning and in a school setting.
Who we are:
The Gersh Organization is dedicated to changing the lives of children on the autism spectrum. Our team of professionals is committed to providing opportunities, inspiration, and guidance for every child to reach their full potential, regardless of the challenges they face. With our family of programs in various locations on Long Island, Seattle and in Puerto Rico, Gersh is the leading provider of educational and support services for children on the autism spectrum and their families.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead daily instructional programs for a.m. and p.m. classes to drive superior student achievement through distance learning and in school instruction
- Communicate and interface with parents/caretakers during online instruction to ensure their child’s successful participation with distance learning.
- Teachers will access virtual trainings to become familiar with specific software programs and tools used to instruct students and be prepared to utilize digital platforms and tools when applicable.
- Teachers will use motivational skills and strategies to encourage students to learn and keep them engaged in their own education via online resources that are appropriate to use as teaching tools.
- Using online educational websites and programs, provide daily and weekly lessons plans that align with each student’s IEP goals.
- Record daily attendance that will indicate the date, start and end times of classroom instruction.
- Complete required daily session notes that documents the implementation of the daily lesson plan which includes the objective, activity and measurable outcome.
- Participate in all CSE/IEP meetings as needed.
- Update IEPs/goals as needed.
- Coach and mentor parents to assist and support their child in their daily learning.
- Prepare resources, lesson plans and materials to be accessed via email for students and parents who may not be able to participate during their scheduled session time.
- Monitor and document student participation of distance/ in school learning during non-scheduled face to face time.
- Communicate daily progress and roadblocks to direct supervisor and/or BCBA. Provide online resources paired with teacher office hours if there are questions during instructional time.
Additional duties as required.
Bachelor’s Degree in education, special education or related field or professional certification required
Experience working with students with ADHD, LD, HFA and other related disabilities preferred
Experience using Applied Behavioral Analysis preferred
Experience in assessment and report writing preferred
Location: Queens Village, NY
Monday – Friday / 8:00am – 4:00pm
Occasional before and after school work hours at the discretion of the Administrative staff
School / Classroom setting
Candidates should be comfortable teaching online and in the school building
Must be able to keep students safe from themselves and others and in some cases may need to implement CPI procedures.
Must be able to remove oneself from potentially harmful situations and in some cases be able to lift a child.
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k, IRA)
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
- Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity)
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Training & Development
Expected salary: $48000 – 55000 per year
Location: Jamaica, Queens, NY
Job date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 22:41:26 GMT
Apply for the job now!