Job title: Software Engineer- Consumer
Job description: Foursquare is the leading independent location technology and data cloud platform dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces and physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, and achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquare’s location tech stack is being utilized by the world’s largest enterprises and most recognizable brands.
About the Position
The Consumer team is responsible for the Foursquare technology that people interact with to get helpful, positive tips from our trusted global community and keep track of where they’ve been and where you want to go, all in one place. This includes our mobile apps Foursquare City Guide, Swarm and Rewards and the backend platform that powers the experience. We spend time building features and products that provide compelling user experiences centered around location to users of our apps. The Consumer team is a high impact team and a core piece of the Foursquare business with direct impact on the broader company success.
This role is responsible for the architecture, design, and development of a microservice platform that powers Foursquare consumer apps. The software engineer will work closely with the product management, program management and mobile engineering teams to ensure alignment with the product roadmap and company vision.
In this role, you’ll
- Review product requirements for technical feasibility and create technical specifications
- Implement new features in existing microservices and/or create greenfield services for new functionality
- Evaluate new geolocation and location based technologies for incorporation into our platform
- Learn, grow and mentor!
What you’ll need
- Strong Scala (or other functional language) or Java (or other OOP language) experience – we use Scala!
- Proven experience building scalable, reliable, performant REST APIs
- Solid foundation in computer science fundamentals with sound knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design
- Familiarity with AWS (or other cloud hosting environments such as GCP or Azure)
- Comfortable in a small and fast-paced startup environment
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a related field or equivalent experience
Nice to Have
- CI/CD using Jenkins, Terraform
- Experience with location based services
- Experience with Android and/or iOS
Benefits and Perks
- Fully Flexible Workplace – work from home, one of our offices or a combination of the two!
- Unlimited PTO – rest and recharge when you need it!
- Industry Leading Healthcare – comprehensive and competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- Savings and Investments – 401(k) with company match
- Home Office Setup – you get all necessary hardware and internet reimbursement
- Family Planning and Fertility Programs – programs via Carrot and Maven
- Employee Resource Groups – to help you stay connected
Things to know…
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply for this Job
First Name *
Last Name *
Drop files here
Drop files here
Why are you interested in this position? *
Are you authorized to work in the United States for any employer? *
Will you now or in the future require visa sponsorship? *
After we return to the workplace, what is your preferred office location? *
Location: Chicago, IL
Job date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 22:22:07 GMT
Apply for the job now!