Job title: Senior Financial Services Regulatory Policy and Accounting Officer
Company: New York State
Job description: Minimum Qualifications Appointment Method
Candidates must meet the minimum qualifications listed below in order to be eligible for appointment.
Non-Competitive: A Bachelor’s degree and must be a certified public accountant, with at least seven years of professional accounting experience in bank or regulatory accounting or bank auditing. Candidate must have spent at least two years in a managerial position, supervising professional personnel in accounting or audit at a bank or similar financial institution or at an external auditing firm or an agency regulating financial institutions.
Substitution: A master’s degree in accounting or finance may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
Duties Description The New York Department of Financial Services seeks to build an equitable, more transparent and resilient financial system that benefits New Yorkers and supports business. Through engagement, data-driven regulation, and operational excellence, DFS is responsible for empowering consumers and protecting them from financial harm; ensuring the health and stability of the financial entities we regulate; and driving economic growth through responsible innovation.
The Department of Financial Services (DFS) is seeking applicants to fill the position of Senior Financial Services Regulatory Policy and Accounting Officer in the Capital Markets Division. The duties will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Assists in the review of balance sheets, income statements and cash flows both actual and proforma related to applications for charters, merges, and new or expanded licensees or products;
- Provides training, work review, and reinforcement of work protocols and processes as required;
- Consults and guides examination professionals on accounting, regulatory reporting and internal control and audit issues and trends. Provides prompt, accurate responses to questions from examiners, senior management, regulated institutions, and their external auditors;
- Provides prompt, accurate responses to questions from examiners, senior management, regulated institutions and their external auditors;
- Compiles and creates information and training materials and conducts seminars for examination staff on accounting, reporting and internal audit and control issues related to sophisticated and innovative industry transactions in the current economic and regulatory environment;
- Identifies training classes suitable for the position to stay abreast of current and expected changes affecting financial services or financial products;
- Collaborates with the Director of Economic Research and other regulatory experts on policy formulation and establishment of procedures;
- Discusses technical issues with federal counterparts and regulated institutions;
- Represents Department as speaker at outside conferences and seminars;
- Attends American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) Conferences and Financial Accountant Standards Board (FASB) meetings and highlights key developments for senior management;
- Researches and analyzes technical accounting and regulatory reporting issues and trends;
- Analyzes the impact and consults on current events and trends;
- As the Department’s key contact and primary author of regulatory accounting opinion letters and guidance letters, consults with Department professionals and regulatory counterparts on accounting, internal control and audit issues; and
- Completes special projects assigned by the Superintendent and members of the executive team related to accounting, regulatory reporting, audit and internal control issues and industry trends, new products and innovative technologies, such as virtual currencies and exchange traded funds.
Additional Comments Positions located within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as Suffolk, Nassau, Rockland, and Westchester Counties, are also eligible to receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment.
Appointment to this position is pending Governor Appointment’s Office and Division of Budget approval.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Expected salary: $124534 – 157338 per year
Location: New York City, NY
Job date: Sun, 03 Jul 2022 03:28:40 GMT
Apply for the job now!