Job title: Project Lead — Electric Grid Infrastructure Services — Hybrid
Company: Sargent & Lundy
Job description: Overview
Sargent & Lundy is one of the most experienced full-service architect-engineering firms in the world. Founded in 1891, the firm is a global leader in power and energy with expertise in grid modernization, renewable energy, energy storage, nuclear power, and fossil fuels. Sargent & Lundy delivers comprehensive project services—from consulting, design and implementation to construction management, commissioning and operations/maintenance—with an emphasis on quality and safety. The firm serves public and private sector clients in the power and energy, gas distribution, industrial, and government sectors.
Our Core Values
Every decision we make is guided by our core values. By upholding these six principles, we support our clients, employees, and community. They are the compass we follow as we continue to grow our business and lead the industry.
Quality – We provide high-quality deliverables and services through an uncompromising focus on peer review, safety, and continuous improvement.
Accountability – Our actions demonstrate the highest levels of professionalism, integrity, and respect.
Our People – We value diverse perspectives, encourage professional growth, and are committed to providing a work community where people thrive. Our work is challenging but rewarding.
Our Clients – We deliver value and exceed our clients’ expectations through outstanding customer service, personal accessibility, and clear communication.
Innovation – Since 1891, we have invested in the people, training, tools, and technology needed to quickly adapt in a constantly changing world.
Meaningful Impact – We make a positive impact in the communities where we work and live.
This position allows for a hybrid work schedule with a mix of work spent in office and working remote from home.
- This position will offer you the ability to directly apply your knowledge of protective relaying and controls systems for HV and EHV substations. As a Project Lead of an engineering and design team, you will work on a wide range of substation modifications and upgrades to support client requirements and reviews including creating calculations, document designs, and specifications.
- You will be responsible for preparing relaying philosophies, including selecting relay, control, and communications equipment, developing SCADA and telecommunication concepts and configurations, and overseeing the preparation of I/O assignments and connection diagrams.
- As a Project Lead Electrical Engineer, you will be responsible for guiding junior and senior-level engineers and designers in protection and controls engineering design efforts, including providing guidance with the coordination of detailed design phases for all aspects of the engineering work.
- You will work on challenging assignments that include investigating, trouble-shooting, and solving a wide variety of engineering issues.
- You will perform analysis and design of single line diagrams, substation relaying & metering diagrams (i.e. A.C. schematic diagrams), and D.C. Schematic diagrams.
- Prepare engineering studies for client and peer review.
- Perform independent reviews of work performed by others including calculations and drawing preparation.
- Coordinate and provide guidance to other engineers, project managers, client personnel, and suppliers to ensure a complete and timely design.
- Perform reviews of existing facilities to propose upgrades and replacements, and present findings and recommendations to clients and peers.
- Develop your career via peer-learning through sharing of knowledge with other experienced engineers by way of Sargent & Lundy’s systems of process and associated “Communities of Practice.”
- Provide guidance as a mentor in the development of less experienced engineers.
- There is the potential for you to travel to client and vendor offices for design reviews and to plant site locations for construction coordination and field verification of designs.
Dependent upon your location, this opportunity offers a generous relocation package.
We do not sponsor employees for work authorization in the U.S. for this position.
Essential skills and experience:
- This position requires a BS from an ABET-accredited engineering program.
- 10 or more years experience with a focus on high voltage substations; including design, installation, and coordination.
- PE license.
- Experience with serving as firm/client liaison in a support or lead engineering role.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- Experience in writing and providing support documentation for relay calculations.
- Experience with the design techniques, tools, and principles involved in the production of technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Proficiency with any of the following programs: SKM, ETAP, ASPEN, CDEGS, or vendor software.
- Familiarity with design codes and standards, such as NEC, NESC, NEMA, IEEE and ANSI.
- Experience with various vendor protective relay equipment typically used in substation protection, including SEL, ABB, GE, Areva, and Basler.
- Prior experience is desirable to include in-line, bus and equipment protection, breaker, transformer and similar equipment control, RTU and data concentrator based SCADA systems, telemetering and communications (fiber optics, microwave, power line carrier, etc.).
- AutoCAD or MicroStation experience.
- Construction and start-up experience.
- Testing or commissioning experience.
Sargent & Lundy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any protected status as defined by law.
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 00:37:45 GMT
Apply for the job now!