Job title: Nursing Assistant Health Unit Coordinator
Company: Aurora Health Care
Job description: Major Responsibilities:
- Assists RN with daily care of patients including bathing, oral hygiene, feeding, activity orders and ambulation which may include use of therapeutic assistive devices, proper positioning, range of motion and special transferring as indicated. Measures and documents blood pressures, TPRs (Temperature, Pulse, Respiration), I & O (Intake and Output), daily weights, and other patient data as requested. Documents accurately in Electronic Medical Record (EMR).
- Participates in admission, transfer and discharge process under supervision of RN including room set up, orientation to room, removing linen, and proper management of patient belongings. Ensures patient call light is always in reach of patient and answers call-lights promptly.
- Performs purposeful rounding under direction of RN and promptly communicates observations, concerns, and needs of patient/family to RN. Documents appropriately. Performs various patient positioning and transporting duties which require lifting and pushing/pulling while utilizing proper technique and assistive devices.
- Performs tasks related to nutritional needs of the patient under direction of RN to include diet review, tray set up/removal, proper positioning and diet selection. Performs tasks related to maintaining skin integrity to include proper repositioning and skin care. Ensures special patient supplies and appliances are provided and maintained such as TED hose and sequential compression devices.
- Collects urine, stool, and sputum specimens and performs point-of-care testing as indicated using approved process for accurate specimen labeling and identification. Maintains competency as required. Under direction of RN and as determined by site/unit requirements, may be required to remove IVs, provide post mortem care and perform bladder scans.
- Practices within policies and procedures of infection prevention by demonstrating hand hygiene and knowledge of sterile and aseptic procedures, proper disposal of contaminated materials and utilizing proper attire when in direct contact with patients in isolation.
- Coordinates tests and treatments with and between various departments for patients on nursing units. Maintains a working knowledge of functions and services offered by all diagnostic and treatment departments to facilitate the scheduling of tests and treatments. Maintains working knowledge of EHR system and other computer systems for ordering patient and unit supplies and equipment. Processes daily patient charges and/or related procedures through the system.
- Facilitates communications required to support patient care, including the multiple-line telephone, unit/site paging and the hospital information system. Screens incoming telephone calls. Monitors department office equipment and troubleshoots minor problems. Arranges repair of major malfunctions.
- Compiles necessary chart forms for admissions, transfers, discharges and expirations. Obtains appropriate copies of medical records for transfers to nursing homes and other health care facilities. Verifies medical records contain complete and accurate patient demographic information, patient identification and registration in the medical record, including appropriate level of care.
- Establishes and maintains positive customer relations and contributes to a harmonious work environment. Quickly and courteously acknowledges requests, responds to call lights, demonstrates proper phone etiquette and fosters communication between the health care team.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served. Must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the department’s policies and procedures. Age-specific information is developed further in the departmental job standards.
Licensure, Registration, and/or Certification Required:
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers certification issued by the American Heart Association (AHA) needs to be obtained within 45 days, and
- Nurse Aide in good standing as indicated with the State Registry in which the team member practices.
- Certificate of General Educational Development (GED) or High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED), or
- High School Graduate.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Basic computer skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to set priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to adapt to interruptions and changing priorities/workloads.
- High level of attention to detail essential.
- Certification Addendum
- Team members will maintain annual educational requirements for hospital based certifications (e.g. DNV, CARF or others).
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, lift, squat, bend, twist, and reach above shoulders during the work shift.
- Must be able to:
- lift up to 50 lbs. from floor to waist.
- lift up to 20 lbs. over the head.
- carry up to 40 lbs. a reasonable distance.
- Must be able to:
- push/pull with 30 lbs. of force.
- perform a sliding transfer of 150 lbs. with a second person present.
- Will be required to use foot pedals on carts or machines.
- Must have functional vision and hearing.
- Will be exposed to mechanical, electrical, chemical, and radiation hazards as well as blood and body fluids on a continuous basis; therefore, protective clothing must be worn as necessary.
- Operates all equipment necessary to perform the job.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Location: Chicago, IL
Job date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 01:38:46 GMT
Apply for the job now!