Job title: Manager, Data Engineering 3
Job description: At PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL), we believe that every person has the right to participate fully in the global economy. Our mission is to democratize financial services to ensure that everyone, regardless of background or economic standing, has access to affordable, convenient, and secure products and services to take control of their financial lives.
When applying for a job you are required to create an account, if you have already created an account – click Sign In.
Creating an account will allow you to follow the progress of your applications. Our system does have some requirements that will help us process your application, below are some guidelines for creation of your account:
- Provide full legal First Name/Family Name – this is important for us to ensure our future hires have the right system set up.
- Please Capitalize first letter of your First and Last Name.
- Please avoid using fully capitalized text for your First and/or Last Name.
- NOTE: If your name is hyphenated or has multiple capitalization, please use the same format as your government ID.
Job Description Summary: You will closely work with the various world-class data driven e-payment related businesses by using the cutting-edge technologies and advanced data solution. E.g., Risk control, customer services, privacies and etc. You will face the complex big data challenges or problems for fin-tech industry domain, which turns the big data to more valuable business insights, like customer profiling, risk assessment/vetting and so on. You do not only understand the data deeply but also design & develop the enterprise-level data solutions for huge amount of data, various types of data for more business insights.
You will closely work with the various world-class data driven e-payment related businesses by using the cutting-edge technologies and advanced data solution. E.g., Risk control, customer services, privacies and etc. You will face the complex big data challenges or problems for fin-tech industry domain, which turns the big data to more valuable business insights, like customer profiling, risk assessment/vetting and so on. You do not only understand the data deeply but also design & develop the enterprise-level data solutions for huge amount of data, various types of data for more business insights.
- Be a leader and advocate for your team, your organization
- Manage and grow an effective and efficient engineering organization
- Works with PayPal business units and Product Dev teams to design, develop and deliver data solutions on one of the largest data platforms in the world.
- Supports PayPal business units by providing data in a ready-to-use form to data analysts and data scientists for Business insights, predictive analytics, machine learning, etc.
- Create more data assets by using Image processing, object detection and localization, speech recognition, natural language processing, recommendation systems, forecasting, and multimodal learning
- Design or develop data model and enrich the analytical data sources for further usability and availability by advanced & cutting-edge technology.
- Collaborate with other teams or groups to identify challenges and design solutions
- Basic Qualifications
- BS degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- 10+ years of experience in data engineering.
- 6+ year of experience in big data engineering
- 6+ years of people management experience
- Preferred Qualifications
- Solid technical leadership and expertise in Big Data areas and beyond.
- To be able to mentor and grow talent, drive technical build up, influence and align with partner technical decisions especially in Hadoop platform, Teradata, streaming and enterprise data platform.
- Excellent management skills to transform and grow team effectively.
- Passionate to grow talent as well as technical and business capability and impact.
- Strong communication and internal skills with one-team spirit to influence and work with partners at different level.
- Experience with NodeJS and asynchronous programming
- Expert in multiple Programming/scripting languages, i.e. Unix/Linux Shell Scripting, Java Script, Python, C++, Java, Python, Scala and etc.
- Good understanding of database principles and SQL beyond just data access
- Good understanding of Data Modelling Concepts, experience with modelling data and metadata to support relational & non-relational database implementations, experience with building Logical and Physical data models.
- Familiar with various big data technologies, open-source data processing frameworks. E.g., Spark, Hadoop, HBase, Elasticsearch, Pig, Hive, and so on.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Work and collaborate well with executives and customers
- Intermediate level knowledge on following business domains is a plus, E.g., Marketing, Risk, Customer Service, Payments, e-commerce
- AI/Machine Learning experience is plus to have.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
Travel Percent: 0
At PayPal, we’re committed to building an equitable and inclusive global economy. And we can’t do this without our most important asset—you. That’s why we offer benefits to help you thrive in every stage of life. We champion your financial, physical, and mental health by offering valuable benefits and resources to help you care for the whole you.
We have great benefits including a flexible work environment, employee shares options, health and life insurance and more. To learn more about our benefits please visit
Who We Are:
to learn more about our culture and community.
PayPal has remained at the forefront of the digital payment revolution for more than 20 years. By leveraging technology to make financial services and commerce more convenient, affordable, and secure, the PayPal platform is empowering more than 400 million consumers and merchants in more than 200 markets to join and thrive in the global economy. For more information, visit paypal.com.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at .
As part of PayPal’s commitment to employees’ health and safety, we have established in-office Covid-19 protocols and requirements, based on expert guidance. Depending on location, this might include a Covid-19 vaccination requirement for any employee whose role requires them to work onsite. Employees may request reasonable accommodation based on a medical condition or religious belief that prevents them from being vaccinated.
Location: San Jose, CA
Job date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 22:52:09 GMT
Apply for the job now!