Job title: IMMEDIATE HIRE: Special Education Teacher/Case Manager at Maya Angelou PCS
Company: See Forever Foundation, Inc
Job description: The Organization
Since it began operating in 1997, the See Forever Foundation’s mission has been to create learning communities in lower-income urban areas where all students, particularly those who have not succeeded in traditional schools, can succeed academically and socially. The Foundation operates the Maya Angelou Public Charter Schools in DC and the Maya Angelou Academy at New Beginnings’ secure facility for committed youth in Laurel, MD. Our students develop the academic, social, and employment skills they need to build rewarding lives and promote positive change.
If you are interested in learning more about See Forever, please visit our website at .
At the Maya Angelou Schools, the key to our success is rooted in building trusting, respectful and nurturing relationships with each other. We strive to create safe spaces for all to be able to reach their limitless potential. We are at our best when we work together to ensure the unique needs of our community are met. We empower each other to grow successfully so we can see forever! This is how we live the Maya Way, even when no one is watching.
Maya Angelou Public Charter School is seeking a Special Education Teacher/Case Manager for the 2022-2023 school year. This teacher will ensure that all students with special learning or emotional needs receive the level and types of support that will enable them to succeed. The Maya Angelou Public Charter School’s small teacher-student ratios, allow for individualized attention, and our exceptional learners are fully included in the classrooms.
- Work collaboratively with our general education teachers to implement IEP accommodations and modify instructional lessons to meet a wide range of learning needs
- Collaborate with other school leaders to facilitate professional development training in special education for staff members
- Work closely with parents, school professionals, and outside service providers when necessary
- Teach in content area classes using the co-teaching model
- Manage a caseload of students with an IEP (e.g., organizing all meetings, collecting data, uploading information into data systems, and maintaining and updating IEPs as needed)
- Serve as the central point of contact for the parent, student, and staff for instructionally-based issues such as:
- Monitor the student’s progress, attendance, and other factors affecting the student’s academic success throughout the year
- Contac parents and teachers to share information/progress reports
- Coordinate/collaborate with classroom teachers, counselors, and specialists regarding the student’s accommodations, program modifications, instructional supports, etc.
- Respond to parent concerns and questions regarding the implementation of the student’s IEP and instructional program
- Serve as an advocate and mentor for the student
- Attend SPED Team meetings and Instructional Team meetings
- Report information to the Director of Special Education and/or SPED Coordinator to ensure compliance
- Create a classroom and school environment that features a rich diversity of resources, engages student interest, promotes student leadership, and stimulates student learning
- Take a thoughtful approach to teaching concepts and sparking student interest while also imparting essential factual knowledge
- Manage administrative assignments effectively, with a high level of professionalism and integrity
- Collaborate with the College and Career Team to ensure students with disabilities receive access to postsecondary planning and support
- Collaborate with the Director of Special Education and/or SPED Coordinator to assist students access transition support both internally and with our external partners (e.g. RSA and the DC Special Education Cooperative)
- Model and contribute to a school culture of hope and high expectations for achievement
- Bachelor’s degree in education or subject field (required)
- Eligible for teaching certificate or credential
- Experience working with opportunity youth (preferred)
- Familiarity with research-based instructional strategies
Salary and Benefits
Our salaries are comparable to those of other schools in the District of Columbia area. In addition, See Forever offers a robust benefits plan, including health care coverage, FSA/HSA accounts, dental and vision plans, commuter benefits, a 401k retirement savings plan, student loan refinancing options, and the opportunity to positively impact students with a broad range of experiences and backgrounds.
See Forever is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse staff is a better, more effective staff.
If you are interested in applying for a teaching position, please submit your resume and cover letter here:
Location: Washington DC
Job date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 00:04:16 GMT
Apply for the job now!