Job title: Communications Tech- Kingsley, MI
Company: Lumen Technologies
Job description: About Lumen
Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
As a Lumen Communications Technician you will be engaged with performing installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of high-speed internet, video and voice networks including associated wiring and equipment. Additionally, maintaining and repairing outside plant facilities within assigned geographic service areas.
POSTING DATE: 7/11/2022
POSTING CLOSES: 7/21/2022
The Main Responsibilities
- Install, monitor, maintain, and repair all switching and/or non-switched circuit equipment and associated transmission equipment for the provisioning of telecommunication services.
- Manage, program, and install high-speed data, internet, and voice services in the network.
- This position may be a combination position and may require the successful candidate to effectively work outside as an installation and repair technician and inside as a central office technician.
- Responsible for programming, installing, and maintenance of central office equipment and all peripheral equipment including, but not limited to, digital/analog equipment such as switching, carrier systems, span lines, high-speed internet, ISDN, voice mail systems, span lines, mobile telephone, pager terminals, Hi-Cap, fiber optics, data circuits, microwave systems, etc.
- Analyze and repair digital equipment using technical meters such as transmission test sets, volt/ohm meters, oscilloscope, TDR’s, OTDR’s (optical meters), BER testers, laptop computers, frequency meters, error rates, and synchronization meters.
- Use a variety of test equipment to isolate, identify, and analyze equipment trouble and take appropriate maintenance action.
- Comprehend and relate complex circuit descriptions of both analog and digital fields.
- Must have the ability to understand flow charts, equipment manuals, technical documentation, and/or computer printouts for the purpose of trouble shooting and maintaining digital and analog systems.
- Must be able to relate with customers and employees, and other department personnel for the purpose of resolving technical problems.
- Advise the Departmental Supervisor of all changes and/or problems on a continuing basis.
- Perform service orders, trouble resolution, provisioning, and work order routines.
- Operate and maintain computer systems and support devices; install and test system upgrades.
- Respond to emergency service-affecting situations.
- Assist in trouble isolation of network and subscriber loop problems.
- Maintain and correct records in all related databases.
- Observe all safety rules and regulations.
- Assume all other duties as assigned.
- Assist other technical personnel in their performance of duties when requested.
- Perform installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of high-speed internet, video and voice networksincluding associated wiring and equipment.
- Perform maintenance and repair on outside plant facilities.
- Climb poles, use a shovel and pick to dig up and bury cable; and may be required to work in manholes orcontrolled environmental vaults (CEV). Locate buried telephone cables.
- Observe all safety rules and regulations.
- Assist other Technical personnel in the performance of their duties when requested.
- Must convey a positive and professional appearance and demeanor when communicating the company’sproducts and services to our customers.
- Actively support sales and marketing related activities.
- Direct customer facing work and sales referrals.
- Accountability/dependability (on time and on load when scheduled and serve on call as needed).
- Teamwork (technical expertise developed to complete work efficiently to achieve work group key service measures).
- Active Listening (ability to take input from customers, APS and co-workers to problem solve and improve skills).
- Asking relevant questions to ensure problems are resolved quickly or to clarify information or directions.
- Active Learning (curious seeker of new information and actively works to improve skills and knowledge).
- Assume all other duties as assigned.
- You will be responsible for installation and repair of FTTH products
What We Look For in a Candidate
- Associate degree in electronics, communications or a related field; or the equivalent in training and experience.
- Five years of current experience in a central office, related telephony field, or the equivalent in training and experience.
- Incumbent must be technically proficient in order to perform the specific work requirements of the job in the particular location.
- Ability to achieve required certifications and to successfully complete any required training or coursework.
- Ability to analyze the performance of switching and peripheral data systems and initiate corrective action.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, particularly in detailing technical information.
- Ability to maintain an excellent attendance record.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, be able to safely operate company vehicles and equipment, and maintain a safe driving record.
- Heavy lifting as required (up to 75 lbs.).
- Ability to identify and distinguish audible tones/levels.
- Knowledge of transmission and supervision characteristics.
- Must have working knowledge of central office NAP functions.
- Must have working knowledge of PC’s, including basic computer operational tasks.
- Must be able to respond to after hour call-outs, work overtime, shift, weekends, and holidays as required.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions and at various hours of the day/night.
- Ability to quickly adapt to new technology/equipment/platforms.
- May be required to reside within certain proximity of a reporting location.
- Must be able to travel overnight as necessary for business requirements and training.
- Ability to safely climb towers, ladders, and/or poles to inspect antennas and transmission lines, as required.
- SONET Fiber Optic transport experience.
- Network+, A+, CCNA Certifications.
- Certification in CISCO, Microsoft, or other related network/data systems.
- Certification or equivalent training in inter-networking technology and LAN/WAN equipment such as Ethernet switches, routers, ATM, frame relay, IP, and routing protocols.
- Current experience with NGDLC Systems, GTD-5, Siemens MXU 914A and 914E, or Nortel DMS family switches.
- AFC experience. Certification or equivalent training in the maintenance and operation of AFC (DLC), Calix DSL systems, Adtran (DLC), Fujitsu (FO Transport), and Alcatel DSL systems.
- Installation and configuration of network enabling CPE hardware and software for connection to strategic network services to include frame relay, HiCap, xDSL, and other systems utilized by Lumen.
What to Expect Next
Based on your job application information you may be given the opportunity to complete a video interview immediately after applying. This will include a set of questions for you to record a response to in addition to Game Challenges. Completion of this video interview is a requirement in order to be considered for our open position. Now not a good time? No worries, we will also send you an email with a link to complete the video interview. We strongly recommend that you complete this within 5 days of your application date.
Requisition #: 288112
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
Location: Lake City, MI
Job date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 05:55:07 GMT
Apply for the job now!