Job title: Building Systems Engineer
Job description: Overview:
Brief Job Description:
The Building Systems Engineer (Facilities Director) is the senior executive with direct and primary managerial responsibility of all facilities of the Boston Fire Department (BFD) including Headquarters, Fire Prevention, Fire Alarm, all firehouses and all other properties in the department.
Reporting to the Deputy Chief of Fleet/Facilitates, the Director manages the Boston Fire Department’s annual Facilities budget, serves as the Department’s Liaison of Capital Projects, and manages the Department’s Facilities staff.
- Manages and supervises all facilities operations.
- Develops and manages building maintenance plans, including internal and external building maintenance.
- Manages all facets related to grounds maintenance including lawn maintenance, snow removal, parking lot maintenance and sidewalk maintenance.
- Develops and manages building maintenance programs, including preventative maintenance and recommendations for necessary improvements such as painting, plumbing, HVAC, replacement of office furniture and equipment, etc.
- Formulates operating rules and preventative maintenance programs, regulation and procedures for all areas of BFD facilities.
- Supervises daily upkeep and maintenance of BFD’s main headquarters building.
- Responsible for maintenance of elevators.
- Assures energy efficient facilities through the implementation of energy conservation measures.
- Serve as liaison to the City of Boston for capital planning matters.
- Coordinates project schedules with the City of Boston’s Public Facilities Department and Department staff.
- Regularly meets with City of Boston’s Public Facilities Department, City of Boston Capital Budget Staff and Department Finance staff to monitor progress of Department Capital Budget Projects.
- Works with the Administration and Finance Division to develop the annual budget for the unit.
- Approves invoices for purchases of all goods and services required to maintain all facilities in working order.
- Prepares recommendations annually for the department’s capital plan. Manages budget allotted to facilities in proactive, efficient and effective manner. Develops and implements a long range physical plan (including a master preventative plan.)
- Supervises and manages the activities of facilities maintenance employee, including hiring, directing work projects, scheduling support, providing technical advice, training, conducting performance evaluations and implementing the disciplinary process when necessary. Ensure proper training and safety practices by Facilities staff.
- Works with City of Boston’s Public Facilities Department and departmental end users as appropriate, to design all facilities projects.
- Participates in public meetings as necessary.
- Along with the Procurement Office, develops specifications, negotiates and manages service contracts with third party vendors.
- Coordinates and supervises all external contractors working in the department on facilities projects.
- Works closely with outside vendors for a multitude of goods and services.
- Makes decisions for ordering facility supplies in a cost-effective manner.
- Writes, initiate, interpret and enforce vendor contracts.
- Manage the implementation and execution of vendor contracts.
- Manages Department security, including all fire and burglar alarm systems and peripheral equipment ascertaining that these systems comply with various legal requirements and that they are functional at all times.
- Department contact to the Municipal Police and other law enforcement agencies as it relates to building security.
- Responsible for managing department’s work order system.
- Ensures Facilities staff meets departmental requests and concerns and tracks work order fulfillment through the use of reports, employee feedback and other necessary means.
- Reviews all records of labor and material costs.
- Maintains open communications with all employees in the department.
- Ensures all work procedures and standards are in compliance with Federal, State and local codes and insurance requirements.
- Oversees and monitors development and implementation of the Life Safety Programs, Impairment procedures and Emergency Response procedures.
- Coordinates life safety testing and periodic inspections and certifications.
- Responsible for department’s asbestos management plan.
- Implements any improvement to the rules and regulations along with improvement to indoor air quality guidelines.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Entrance Qualifications:
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
- Five (5) years of full-time or equivalent part-time, executive or managerial experience in public or business administration which included facilities management.
- Knowledge of basic building and architecture, electricity and electrical systems, plumbing and plumbing systems, fire and burglar systems landscaping and sprinkler systems. Basic knowledge of federal, state and local regulations as applicable to facility management including the Americans with Disability Act. Knowledge of carpentry and building structure. Ability to assign tasks, advise subordinates and to follow up on assigned tasks to ensure quality of work and completeness of tasks.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; plan, direct and coordinate the maintenance activities for departmental buildings; estimate labor and material costs and requirements for maintenance and repair; keep accurate records and prepare reports and prepare reports; establish and maintain cooperative relationships with this contacted in the course of work; supervise, train and evaluate assigned staff, including performance reviews.
- Must possess a valid Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.
- Bachelors degree in architecture, construction management, engineering, business administration, or related field and (3) three years of contract administration, and facility management experience.
- Education supplemented by specialized training in plant engineering, civil engineering, electrical engineering, construction management or architecture highly preferred.
- Knowledge and proficiency with Building Management System software
Boston Residency required.
BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIRED
CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK REQUIRED
Hours Per Week:35
Job date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 06:08:29 GMT
Apply for the job now!