Job title: Building Inspector – Development Services
Company: City of Savannah
Job description: Purpose
This position inspects new construction and renovations to existing buildings, such as single family houses, apartments and commercial buildings, to ensure compliance with applicable laws and safety codes.
Essential Job Functions
- Conducts structural building inspections of commercial and residential buildings; reviews plans and specifications, materials, layouts, and equipment.
- Performs inspections of construction projects for compliance with occupational safety and health requirements.
- Informs, explains, and interprets code requirements for project superintendents, contractors, architects, engineers, homeowners and the public.
- Provides uniform conformance to building codes, standards, and regulations; investigates and responds to complaints regarding illegal construction, safety, or hazardous conditions.
- Investigates unpermitted construction.
- Testifies in court and before City Boards and Commissions, as required.
- Issues stop work orders, correction notices or citations as required when construction does not meet technical or municipal codes, zoning ordinances, or approved plans.
- Maintains database, records, and files; researches prior inspections; attends training sessions and meetings; maintains certifications.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
High School diploma or GED equivalent and two (2) years of experience in building construction, construction technology, engineering, or related field; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Certified Residential Building Inspector or obtain within twelve (12) months of employment
- Certified Commercial Building Inspector or obtain within twelve (12) months of employment.
- Valid driver’s license
Background investigation, including supervised drug screen, post offer/pre-employment medical screen; and verification of education, certifications, and licenses required prior to employment.
Knowledge of building codes.
Knowledge of the methods, tools, equipment, and materials used in construction.
Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
Knowledge of computers and other modern office equipment.
Skill in establishing priorities and organizing work.
Skill in public and interpersonal relations.
Skill in oral and written communication.
CITY OF SAVANNAH EMPLOYEE BENEFITS
Overview of Benefits
Paid Sick Leave
Defined Benefit Retirement Pension Plan
Protective Services Retirement Plan (select positions)
Deferred Compensation Retirement Plan
PPO Medical Insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts
Health & Wellness Incentives
Long Term Disability
Excellence and Service Recognition
Employee Development and In-Service Training
Educational Assistance Program
Uniform Allowance (select positions)
Employee Assistance Program
Discounts and Memberships
Pretax Parking Deductions
Employer Assisted Home Purchase Program
Domestic Partnership Benefits
PPO Medical Plus Plan
PPO Medical Basic Plan
Dental Plus Plan
Dental Basic Plan
Vision Service Plan
Basic Life and ADD
Supplemental Life Employee
Supplemental Life Spouse
Supplemental Life Child
Benefits costs are paid by the City of Savannah, by the employee or shared by both the City and the employee.
Expected salary: $23.27 per hour
Location: Savannah, GA
Job date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 04:17:47 GMT
Apply for the job now!