Job title: Accounting Technician III: Schools
Company: Coconino County
Job description: Nature of Work
Coconino County promotes a transformational leadership philosophy that elicits employee growth, cultivates inspiration, and creates future leaders by empowering employees to solve internal and external customer needs and exceed customer service expectations. As an award-winning organization with high regard for cultural diversity and the positive contributions of the many thriving cultures within our county, our nation, and our society, Coconino County leads a variety of initiatives that celebrate diversity; from our Annual Diversity Day, and monthly Heritage Lunch & Learns, to book clubs, and professional development academies which target diverse workforce segments. Coconino County’s respect for diversity is shared throughout the organization. Be part of this optimistic, innovative team where outstanding customer service creates dynamic solutions and engages leadership at every level.
Under limited supervision performs work of moderate difficulty performing advanced accounting, financial and payroll support duties including financial transactions, preparing account reconciliations, processing journal entries, reconciling bank and general ledger accounts, preparing account reconciliations, developing financial reports, verifying and reconciling budgetary and fiscal documentation; performs related work as assigned.
Please Note: Advertised salary is based on final Board of Supervisor approval for FY23 budget.
PLEASE NOTE: We have decided to re-open this recruitment in order to obtain a larger applicant pool. If you have previously applied, your application will be considered for this position and you DO NOT need to re-apply. All applications will be reviewed after the new recruitment is closed.
- Leads accounting support activities including the review and verification of accounting documentation, ensuring accuracy in calculation, coding and adherence to policies and procedures
- Responsible for accounting support activities in the areas of payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, purchasing, and/or special districts
- Prepares, maintains, and reconciles accounting, financial and other departmental records and accounts
- Audits projected revenues and expenditures
- Verifies transactions and reconciles discrepancies
- Responds to requests for information related to assigned area
- Frequent interaction with employees, other agencies and the public through various media to resolve complex accounting support problems
- Verifies the work of other accounting support staff
- Trains less experienced personnel in the clerical accounting activities or the work unit
- Provides support for external audits/auditors
- May effect collections of fines and fees
- May prepare invoices
- May audit travel claims for compliance with travel policies
- May handle and account for cash in various amounts
- May prepare and perform check run
- May supervise bookkeeping, clerical staff or temporary employees
Essential functions of this position include but are not limited to: sitting for computer work; working with and around other staff; working alone; dealing with interruptions; repetitive motion (hand/wrist) for computer work,; vision acuity (near/ far) for computer work; hearing and speech for ordinary conversation with staff and customers; finger dexterity for typing/ 10-key.
Four years of increasingly responsible accounting experience; or, any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which demonstrate the ability to perform the duties of the position.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of two years experience in bank and general ledger reconciliation with analytical/financial accounting knowledge.
This position is non-exempt from overtime.
This position is safety sensitive.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of:
– Governmental accounting principles and practices
– Automated accounting systems
– File maintenance procedures and practices
– Data entry and verification procedures
– County policies and procedures, statuettes and guidelines related to assigned area
– Office practices and procedures
– Principles and practices of supervision
– Special Districts
- Skill in:
– Performing and verifying mathematical computations
– Using computerized budget/financial tracking and reporting programs and other software programs related area work
– Use of office equipment
- Ability to:
– Meet deadlines
– Establish and maintain computerized filing systems
– Prepare and maintain financial records
– Format and generate revenue, spending and costing reports
– Work safely and support the culture of workplace safety
– Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies, and the public
– Follow written and verbal instructions
– Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
Coconino County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Coconino County offers a comprehensive employee benefits
package to regular employees working 30 or more hours per week that includes:
(Regular Part Time employees receive some benefits on a pro-rated basis. Temporary and Seasonal employees do not receive benefits. Elected officials are not eligible for vacation and sick leave.)
- Vacation/Annual Leave
- Sick Leave
- 10 Holidays Per Year
- Health Care Insurance
- Dental Plan
- Vision Plan
- Group Life Insurance
- Pre-Tax Deduction Plan
- Sick Leave Conversion Plan
- Personal Day Purchase Program
- Vacation Sell Back Program
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Wellness Program
- Long-Term Disability
- Arizona State Retirement System
- Employee Assistance Program
- On-going Training Opportunities
- Free bus transportation/ EcoPass bus pass
- Dependent Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Supplemental Life (for employees & dependents)
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
- Tax-deferred investment program
- Accidental and Disability Insurance
- Short Term Disability
Expected salary: $40597 – 44657 per year
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Job date: Sun, 03 Jul 2022 04:35:01 GMT
Apply for the job now!